Saturday, July 31, 2004

Swimming with sharks

All week I've had rebounding on the mind. I've been racking my brain trying to think of guys I know who wouldn't kick me out of bed for eating crackers. Desperate? No. Well, maybe. I just want to feel beautiful and sexy and confident around men again. I want to have some fun. If I were a barfly, I'd be picking up men left and right.

Instead, my friend L and I braved the MFA First Friday, a notoriously active singles scene that goes on in the MFA's courtyard during the summer. L is a new friend and she's a total man magnet--she looks like the innocent girl next door, but there are some sharp edges lurking under her blond ambition.

We walked into the courtyard and men descended from every corner. Young, old, hot, ugly--we talked to them all. Whenever we did a lap around the courtyard, men pulled out chairs and tried to get us to sit down. They bought us drinks and offered phone numbers and asked us out for food after the cocktail hour. When we stood talking to one guy for more than a few minutes, we could see other men circling behind them, waiting their turn. After a while, it stopped being an ego trip and started to get a little creepy. There's looking for a rebound and then there's feeling like prey being stalked by a predator coming in for the kill.

We left sans men, went to the Cambridge Brewing Co. and got some dinner by ourselves.

No comments: