Saturday, July 17, 2004

No, it's not a girdle

I found a post on Craigslist by someone who's putting together a support group for people going through a divorce, separation or the end of a long-term relationship. So I pinged her and we're having our first meeting tonight. I've never done this kind of thing before--going to a support group, I mean. I'm a little skeptical but I guess we'll see. What do I have to lose?

In between self-help books, I'm reading "Comfort Me With Apples, " by Ruth Reichl. She's a good writer but her life story is pissing me off. It's just too perfect. Even when things get hard--her marriage ends, she changes careers--she never actually has to struggle with anyone. A series of new lovers shows up and she gets these plum freelance writing gigs that send her to France. Cry me a freaking river.

Whenever I go through some sort of emotional crisis, I migrate toward contemporary women's fiction. It's just comforting. Some of my favorite crisis authors: Alice Hoffman, Elizabeth Berg and Anita Shreve.

One thing R. Reichl wrote that resonated with me: "Sometimes even your best is not enough. And in those times you have to give it everything you've got and then move on." I feel like I did that with Glenn. One person can't make a relationship work--it takes two. I gave that relationship everything I had and, when that wasn't enough, I moved on. Or I'm trying to.

No comments: