Saturday, July 24, 2004

Breaking all the rules

TGTB advocates the No Contact rule--no contact with the ex, no matter what. But things ended with Glenn and me so abruptly that there's still a lot that needs to be said. We have been talking pretty regularly over the past few weeks and though I usually end up melting down the day after we talk, I feel a lot better communicating my feelings than keeping everything all bottled up for the sake of propriety. When we spoke earlier this week, he actually apologized and took responsibility for everything that happened. "You didn't deserve the way things went down," he said. I know that, but it felt good to hear him say it.

Today I returned a bunch of bridal shower gifts to Crate & Barrel, Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn. Glenn hated the whole concept of registering and he fought it tooth and nail. I saw it as building our home and future together. We fought over the registry more than any other aspect of the wedding. We just couldn't see eye to eye or find a middle ground on the topic. But seeing all the couples walking around today with digital scanners in their hands, I realized that I want a man who wants to be a partner in building a life, not someone who digs in his heels and refuses to compromise on anything.

All those eyelash wishes down the tubes.

No comments: