Wednesday, February 09, 2005

People need to throw more parties

Tonight I had my second internet date. Have you ever met someone who is clearly gay but hasn't come to grips with their sexuality? It was like that. The guy bore a startling resemblance to Sean Hayes, but less like Jack on Will & Grace and more like the evil, chicken-hoarding hermit in Pieces of April. Needless to say, I won't be seeing him again.

I'm seriously thinking of bagging the whole online dating thing. Everyone in the world knows someone who met their significant other online, but it's just not my scene. Meeting people online is awkward and forced, and it feels too virtual to connect with anyone in a meaningful way. How has our generation become so cut off from the kind of community our parents grew up with that we have to rely on digital networks to meet likeminded people? After signing up with the dating service, I started reading a great book called Urban Tribes, which is about how young people are forming their own urban families to replace the community structure that somehow got lost over the past few decades.

No comments: