Sunday, February 27, 2005

Do we really NEED to know what a duvet is, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word?

I am in bedding HELL. Whoever said that buying new bedding is easy has clearly never dealt with the pressure of bedroom perfection as depicted in the latest Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel catalogs. Either that or they married a designer. Quilt or blanket? Do I buy a patterned duvet or a solid color duvet and a patterned blanket? Do I try to find something that matches my flannel sheets, even though it's almost spring and I'll have to buy new cotton sheets soon? Do I get a cheaper duvet from C&B that I can replace in a few years, or invest in something nicer from PB that will last but that Scully might destroy with her hawk-like claws? AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

All this because I decided that the next step in bringing new energy into my life (and specifically into my bedroom) is to get some new bedding. I bought my bed from the girl who used to live in my apartment, so it's new and has no bad Glenn feng shui energy whatsoever. All the jointly owned sheets and blankets got left in LA because, well, EW. Since it's winter, nI've been using my favorite lavender flannel sheets that Glenn hated (witness the stain from the ink he "accidentally" spilled on them) and my wonderful down comforter that he hated even more (he thought it was too heavy--I think it's the perfect weight). The old duvet cover has seen better days, however, and I'm flush with gift certificates from returning shower gifts that people insisted I keep, so I figured it was time to up the thread count and fluff the nest for myself.

But I'm incapable of making up my mind. I blame my Yankee upbringing. And my total lack of design skills. Maybe the right duvet for me is out there somewhere and I'm just not ready to find it yet? For chrissakes, I can't even get my bed out of the past--how the hell is the rest of me supposed to move on, too?

No comments: