Sunday, November 07, 2004

Setbacks of the minor variety

This weekend was a bizarre mix of great and horrible. On Thursday I finally bit the bullet and, Kleenex in hand, ventured into my parent's basement to sort through all the boxes that G and I put into storage before we moved to LA. It pretty much sucked as much as I thought it would, which is why I put the whole mess off for five months in the first place. For anyone feeling remotely masochistic, sifting through your ex-fiance's belongings ranks right up there with surgery sans anesthesia. Among the books, pictures and boxes of slides (the shithead was a photographer) were the little finds that felt like swords through my middle--the catnip mice he brought to bribe my cat during his first visit to the east coast. Scully ignored them (such a smart girl) and we ended up using them as Christmas tree ornaments. There was also an old journal of G's that I couldn't help snooping through, and in it I found old lists of things he wanted to do before he died, as well as several pages devoted to what he desperately wanted in a relationship. He wrote about how he wanted to find someone who loved him completely, with whom he could be totally open and at ease. He had that in me, and we did so many of the things he wanted to do when we were together. Somehow it wasn't enough and it takes all my strength not to wonder what I did wrong.

I gathered all his things and left them for his parents to pick up on Saturday. It takes a real man to leave that kind of mess for his mommy and daddy to clean up. G, you are now officially a walking cliche.

Saturday night I went to a kickass dinner in the South End with some friends. For anyone who like shellfish, I highly recommend B&G Oysters. Look for the signs that say "Bivalves and Weiners."

My friend had a Pampered Chef party this weekend. It was sort of like a modern day Tupperware party, except it felt more like hell on earth. A room full of minivan moms oohing and ahhing over cookware and screaming children--I almost threw myself out the bathroom window. Thankfully my friend J called and we went for a great run on what was probably the last sunny, warm day of the year.

Currently addicted to: the Garden State soundtrack

No comments: