Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Making preparations for hari kari

In the words of W.H. Auden:

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

As much as I'd like to say I'm surprised by Bush's win, I'm just disappointed. I'm a fervent Kerry supporter and while I won't denigrate his decision to concede, I really wish he'd held out until all the votes were counted in Ohio. A few more days of indecision is nothing compared to what Bush will do to this country over the next four years. As a liberal and a woman and an environmentalist, I shudder at the knowledge that Bush and his cronies will bulldoze through an agenda that does not reflect the fact that they won by the very slightest of margins. This country is incredibly divided and there is no question that our president will ignore the voices of the half of our country that did not vote for him. Maybe that's how elections work, but Bush inspires a dread cyniciscm that I've never felt before.

No comments: