Tuesday, November 16, 2004

A Bloomies moment

Today I went to Bloomingdales to return a set of flatware that Glenn's mother gave me for my shower. It's very nice stuff but I know I'd think of Glenn everytime I used it, and I'd rather not do that. So I brought it to the counter and the saleslady, an old salt type, asked me, "Do you need any pieces to complete your set?" I said, "No, thank you, I called off the wedding." She looked up at me in surprise and said, "I'm sorry." "Don't be," I told her, "I'm not." And I MEANT IT. She smiled and said, "Well, as long as you're not sorry."

After she was finished printing up the credit form, she handed me the receipt and said, in a very sincere way, "Best of luck in *everything* you do from here on out." I smiled and thanked her. She looked at me and said, "I'll see you back here soon, don't you doubt it."

It made my day. What could have been an emotional event turned into an empowering moment, and I left the store feeling completely happy. As I walked out the door, I realized that I AM completely happy. I am happy in myself and I am happy being single--I have wonderful friends and family, a great cat and a good book to read. I feel whole in a way that I haven't felt in years.

1 comment:

ME! said...

Good for you! And more strong moments to come in the future!