Tuesday, November 23, 2004

A complete inner 360

"When you feel love, act on it. Speak your heart. Be truthful. Remain open."--Deepak Chopra

At first, I came to Kripalu because I needed to work on myself. Now, I think I need to focus on learning how to reconnect with others.

There is such a thing as being too emotionally isolated from people in general. And it's easy to do when you have this endless well of grief inside you. At the sharing circle this morning, I started crying and couldn't stop. So maybe the best thing I can learn from all this is how to let people in again. Because there are so many barriers around my heart now.

So instead of going to the yoga core strength workshop this afternoon, I went to the massage therapy workshop and met two great women who are old school friends. They got me to open up a bit and we spent the hour and a half laughing. It made me appreciate the power and the gift of touch. These two people I'd never met before took my hands and feet and made me relax. It's weird how difficult it is to let yourself be taken care of, even for a few minutes.

Then I went for a long walk. It was a glorious sunny day, and I climbed the hill leading to the labyrinth that's just past the road. Who knew a silly path of small stones could be such a meditational experience? I walked it slowly and as I worked my way out from the center, I realized why people find the labyrinth so powerful. You can only take one step at a time and you can never tell when or where the path will curve out of sight. You can't see what lies ahead and you have to trust that, even if the path takes you out when you think you should be going in, that you have to trust you're heading in the right direction. And even though your progress isn't always visible, you are constantly moving forward, through, in the right direction.

I have never wanted a Snickers bar so badly in my life. The food here is amazing but there is nothing sweet to eat except homemade raspberry jam. Must. Have. Chocolate.

No comments: