Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Spoke too soon

Glenn emailed today to tell me he found the valuation papers for the ring and he’s FedExing them to my office. I know I should be cheering-—it’s what I wanted him to do, right? But there's no relief, no joy, no anything---just tears. The broken-hearted voice inside my head is screaming unhelpful things like, "It’s not supposed to be this easy for him," and "It wasn’t supposed to happen this way." Maybe it would help if he included one of his fingers in the envelope, just to show that he felt some pain, too? There’s still a part of me that wants to pick up the phone and talk to him about it, because we used to talk about everything. Just to say, “God, this is weird and awful. I never thought we’d be doing this.”

Now it feels final. Now there’s no excuse for us to be in contact. All material ties are severed once his FedEx arrives. After I sell the ring, all family business will be taken care of.

Still waiting for that proverbial window to open.

No comments: