Saturday, March 26, 2005

Jolly good, old chap

I am re-watching the PBS version of John Galsworthy's The Forsyte Saga. It's so good that I can't tear myself away and I keep getting to bed late. Damian Lewis, who played Major Winters in Band of Brothers, somehow manages to make me forget he's a hottie with his performance as the odious Soames. And then there's Soames' arctic wife, Irene. When I watched the series for the first time a few years ago, I was totally on Irene's side but this time I am kind of disliking her.

I love old British names. Soames. Swithin. Montague. Winifred. Hester. Jolyon. These are names that deserve a resurrection in modern society, if only to get away from all the current names that are so overused. I know someone named Jolyon and his parents named him after the character in The Forsyte Saga. Discerning parents, his. Maybe it's that I spent so much time in WASP world on the Cape, but I find something seductive and charming about Victorian society, despite the fact that it was so uptight people could barely breathe. The concept of manners is nice in itself.

No comments: