Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Happy March

When I think about winter, or more specifically, when I think about the length of time that winter should last in New England, I always anticipate cold, gray, snowy darkness from about the beginning of November through late March. That's a good five months. There is no earthly reason why winter should last more than five months. Today being the first day of March, I am firmly committed to the idea that the worst of the cold and the snow (and hopefully, of the winter, period) will be over within the next three to four weeks.

Not that the weather gods always--or ever-- listen to me. My friend H and I used to do snow dances in our living rooms during middle school and high school in an effort to induce a snow day. The mandatory snow dance costume consisted of winter parka, snow hat and sunglasses. Once we were dressed in the snow dance costume, we'd dance around in circles with our arms over our head making "ooo ooo ooo ooo" noises that we hoped would attract the attention of the weather gods. I think our efforts got us about 3-4 snow days over the course of 6 years. Not bad.

Five months is more than enough time for winter to come and go, and bludgeon the residents of the entire region into weather-induced depression. I bet that even the most enthusiastic skiers get sick of snow after a while. So weather gods, listen up! You're officially on notice. It's now March and you have four weeks and a half weeks to get winter out of your system and put spring in motion. Chop chop.

No comments: