Monday, April 04, 2005

Linktastic

I’ve been too lazy to post cool linky stuff lately (and also my wireless connection at home won’t let me link to anything), so here’s a whole bunch of things that grabbed my eye this week:

Design Within Reach cracks me up because unless you’re in a high-income profession, nothing in that store is reachable for anyone my age (and we are their target demographic). There’s one in Santa Monica and I only ever looked in the window because it felt like one of those stores where the salesperson would take one look at my shorts and flipflops and KNOW that I couldn’t afford anything on the floor. So this made me smile. Design for those of us without disposable income.

The lifelong Buffy addict in me thinks that Geese Aplenty’s and the Yeti’s theories on pope replacement make total sense.

Apparently I’m years late on the whole Lebowski Fest phenomenon, but what isn’t there to say about a celebration of the Dude? My inner Maude wants to attend in nothing but a short red wig and a faux mink coat. But only if I can walk around saying, “He’s a good man—and thoura” over and over again.

Where I went to school, Nalgene bottles were beyond de rigeur. They were almost required of incoming freshmen. So I hope that the school is issuing a public service announcement of the sad and disturbing discovery that Nalgene bottles can cause brain damage.

Lots of cool architecture stuff going on. The Build Boston event is going on this week, and Sarah Susanka, author of “The Not So Big House” is giving a keynote on the future of the American home. She’s a pioneer of the “small is the new big” concept, of which I am a big fan. Also, Architectural Digest is launching its three-city Architecture Days tour in LA later this month. I so wish I could be there.

Last but definitely not least, HBO's biggest tough guys are battling it out over whose cat is cuter. I’m still not sure if this site is for real, but if it is, it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.

No comments: