Monday, May 08, 2006

Cojones

This past weekend was the Somerville Open Studios and artists all over town threw open the doors to their studios, complete with big signs and bunches of orange balloons. We decided to go check it out and discovered that one of our neighbors is a very talented and accomplished artist. She does amazing sketches of botanical images and balls-—the testicular variety, not the bouncy plastic kind. The sequence of images on her studio wall went from garden to peony to balls. At first I wasn’t sure if I was looking at a very large lady slipper or what, but no, it was an 8’ high set of testicles. That’s a lot of balls.

They weren't cheap, either. You really have to like testicles to shell out $3000 for one of these. I really like peonies and I fell in love with one of her peony sketches, but I don’t have that kind of money to throw around right now.

We spent the rest of the weekend sitting on the porch watching people go in and out of her studio. “Think they bought a penis picture?” I’d ask.

“They weren’t penises, they were testicles.”

“There was a penis in one of them.”

“Yeah, but that was just collateral penis. It was all about the sack.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am happy to know that somewhere in my neighborhood, there is a ballsy exhibition going on.

Overmatter said...

You did that very well.

I am 12, so "peony" just made me think "peeny." Maybe that was the connection. Peenies and balls.