Saturday, May 21, 2005

A luscious mix of words and tricks

I don't know what it is about rainy Saturdays, but yoga has been rocking as of late. We did 8 wheels today and I could have done 10 more--I felt strong and loose and centered. When we got to sivasana, I wished the class were longer because I didn't feel finished or ready to rest. And it's really a mystery where all this energy came from considering the amount of wine I drank last night. J is in town and we had a lovely dinner at Argana in Kendall Sq. Then we hit the B-side, the Middlesex Lounge and the bar at the Hotel MIT. It was a great night, marred only by my drunken urge to text message lunch boy, which I regretted immediately afterward.

T came to yoga with me today and we got into a heated discussion about the disgustingly small number of strong men we have in our collective lives. When I sat down to think about it, I realized that I only know 3 or 4 men whom I would describe as strong--who are decisive, centered and have their priorities straight. Maybe there's something to be said against the whole women's lib movement if the end result is that women are so driven, strong and self-reliant that a whole generation or two of men have grown up believing that they don't need to take responsiblity for their actions, emotions or decisions because we don't need them to fill that role anymore. We do. I know so many women who have held their heads high through experiences that destroyed them emotionally, but I know very few men for whom I can say the same.

Tonight is A's business school graduation party and I cannot wait to go.

No comments: