Sunday, May 29, 2005

Hold your glass up

Lo and behold, the roommate and I worked out our towel differences with a minimum of awkwardness and have proceeded to begin living together as smoothly as two people who are rarely home at the same time can, I ignore her dishes in the sink and she ignores the growing pile of laundry in my room. Her cat hasn't arrived yet, so Scully doesn't know that she will soon have a playmate. Here's hoping she and Clyde have a more harmonic start to their relationship.

The sun came out today for the first time in weeks and it was glorious. Crab though I might about the weather, the rainy season has yielded up three rainbows this month alone. It's hard to find something wrong with a rainbow.

A whirly-headed moment of weirdness today--I realized that at this time last year, Glenn and I were embarking on our little world of pain. He had already cheated and we spent all Memorial Day weekend "working on things," which meant he kept telling me how I needed to fight for him and I had no idea why he had gone off the deep end or needed to be fought for, but I gave what I had left. This occurred to me when I was sitting on lunchboy's couch after a great day together. Last year I NEVER would have thought that I'd meet someone cool, or get my life together again. But it's happened and I cannot articulate how glad I am to be in this moment.

Last night lunchboy and I geeked out to the extreme at the Buffy singalong. It was my first glimpse at the depths to which the Buffyverse's geekdom goes. The line to get into the theater stretched down a couple of blocks--the thing sold out fast. Picture a large theaterful of people singing along to a TV show for an hour and a half, and you'll start to get an idea of what it was like. I was semi-embarassed for myself but I have no trouble admitting that we had a complete blast!

It's fun to know that after 24 hours with lunchboy, I neither want to kill him nor push him away. I don't feel suffocated but I also don't feel like it's moving too fast. We have fun together. We joke and laugh and watch silly shows on Tivo. We do basic, boring domestic stuff like go food shopping and unpack his new condo and play with his cats and it's FUN. We don't jump to conclusions or make assumptions about what it is or where it's going (at least I'm not). For where I am in my life, it's just right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, a "Buffy" singalong in Boston and I missed it? NOOOOOOO!!!!! I could have unleashed my inner Giles. Damnit.

How did you find out about it?

--ryan
http://ryan-mcgee.com