Wednesday, April 19, 2006

So good, so good

The Red Sox game last night was eye-opening. The last time I went to Fenway, there weren’t security checkpoints at both ends of Yawkey Way. Or an Emily Post-like how-to guide on ballpark etiquette that got flashed on the jumbotron. I’m supposed to call security if someone is affecting my enjoyment of the game? What? Aren’t ball games all about being rowdy? I think the people in the bleachers broke most of the rules by the fourth inning and I was GLAD.

I haven’t been paying much attention to the Sox so far this season, so I was really confused the first time Kevin Youkilis came up to bat and everyone in the stands booed. “Why don’t they like him?” I asked one of the guys I was with. “They’re not booing, they’re saying Yooooouk,” he replied. Then it made sense. I’m slow on the uptake sometimes.

The first six innings went by in about an hour—it was crazy fast. But it got interesting in the seventh. It was my first game singing “Sweet Caroline” and it was so much fun to be at Fenway without the curse hanging over the entire park. No one was morose. Everyone was upbeat. And we won, so you can’t beat that.

No comments: