Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Classic

So I’m sitting on the (newer, cleaner) couch last night watching TV and my roommate comes home. We haven’t been in the apartment at the same time for almost a week, which explains why the sink is filled with dishes and the kitchen is grimy. She dumps her bags on the floor and says, “My car got broken into last night.”

“Where? Here?” Our neighborhood is generally super safe.

“No, I was at C’s (her skanky boyfriend) near Copley. They smashed the driver’s side window and took my laptop, the new one.”

OK, first of all, why was her laptop in the car? Hellooo? Stupid much? And, it wasn’t even her laptop. The computer belonged to the school where she teaches.

“Why was your laptop in the car?”

“I had it in behind the passenger seat on the floor, underneath a bag of groceries.”

So it wasn’t even in the trunk. She seems mildly perturbed but much more laissez-faire than I would if my work computer had been snatched and my car window smashed.

“Will your insurance cover it?” I asked.

“No, I don’t have comprehensive coverage. I have to pay for the window.”

“What about the laptop?”

“I don’t know. I have to talk to the school about it. They weren’t sure what to do.”

I don’t know, fire her? Except then she wouldn’t be able to pay rent. She still owes me money for last month’s utilities.

Five and a half more months.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People took my basketball shoes out of the backseat of my car once, also necessitating a smashed window. The car was in my garage. The shoes were $40. All in all, a stupid and pointless crime. But it certainly made me think twice about what I leave in there.

PomHeart said...

i am sooo glad i found a place in central by myself. no more roommates. awesome.

Anonymous said...

Leases are the pits.

Three cheers to living alone, that's for sure.

Moxie said...

That's the way to go. You guys are smart smart.