Monday, December 13, 2004

I'm sure there's a 12-step adage for getting through the day that would fit here

Sometimes the minutiae of daily life feels like burden, and at other times it's a blessing. Right now it's the minutiae that keep me busy, and every day that I can pack full of activity, even if it's stupid, brainless errands, is a triumph. I still feel like a loser when people ask me what I've done lately and I don't have anything to say, but the errands help me feel like I'm standing on my feet in the world again.

The weather really has me down in the dumps. Every day is cold and gray and the sun goes down so early that it feels like bedtime in the late afternoon. I've been running as often as possible because the fresh air perks me up, but I've also been abusing the guest visitor pass at the swanky gym near my work. They never check at the door, and so my pass has lasted two weeks instead of one. Score! They have good cardio equipment and it's never that crowded. The pool is spectacular but I cannot imagine getting into a bathing suit in this temperature. The last thing I want is to get wet!

I crashed at Carmen's this weekend just to get out of Sudbury. She wasn't there, so I ended up sleeping for almost 12 hours. When I finally dragged myself out of bed, I went for a run around Fresh Pond and then went shopping at Bloomingdale's for a dress to wear to the company Christmas party. With the credit I have from returning the silverware, I managed to get a gorgeous BCBG black handkerchief dress that looks smashing on me. I'm going to tear this party up, baby. This morning, I went to the 9am class at On the Mat, this little yoga studio out in Concord. The instructor is hot, but he's also a very good teacher. I took his class one evening last week, and today he really encouraged me to take the next step in my backbends and arm balances. I felt challenged for the first time since I left California. It felt great to work on some new, tough poses.

Lately I've been remembering my dreams again and it's a mixed bag. Forgetfulness can be a gift.

No comments: