Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Baci

What makes a great kiss?

This is the question J asked me today over email. I didn’t have a good answer for him, not because I haven’t had my share of great kisses but because there are some things I prefer not to over-analyze. Good smooching has everything to do with chemistry. Technique matters, too, but really it’s the chemistry. So I can’t say what makes a great kiss, but you know it when you feel your stomach drop into your toes and there’s a sudden rush of blood to the…head. Really good kisses can blow your mind, literally. I remember sitting on the T years ago after a second date and missing my stop because I was punch drunk from a long kiss goodbye. I spent last spring in a hormonal fog while I waited for what I knew would be an earth-shattering kiss.

Remembering the first lick of desire is important. As we get older, I think we sometimes get too caught up in what good kisses lead to and we stop appreciating how great a kiss can be in itself.

2 comments:

ElleCharlie said...

I couldn't agree more - kissing is fantastic. Much more easily screwed up than some other stuff, but that helps you determine skill level right off the bat.

Wombat & Aspen said...

Desire makes for the best kissing. And perhaps delay between the desire and the manifestation.

Wombat