Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lay it on me

My cabbie this morning had a penchant for prayer. He had his radio tuned to a religious station that played nothing but a recording of a man and a woman reciting the Hail Mary and the Lord’s Prayer over and over and over and over again. At 5:45am, I was too bleary to think about whether it was a sign of some kind or just a really big annoyance. Maybe it’s a blessing to be smothered with prayer so early in the morning? I figure I’ll take my blessings where I find them. All that praying turned out to be comforting in more ways than one because the cabbie’s driving was so frightening that, after the third time he almost drove us into a median strip, I figured that if we died we’d at least be covered in the god department.

At lunch, though, my fortune cookie went in the opposite direction. “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket,” it told me. Literally or figuratively? Is this the Easter Bunny taking a turn in the cookie factory? "It's just a stupid cookie," my best friend told me. "Don't read too much into it." Yes ma'am.

No comments: