Thursday, May 27, 2004

Ruminations on a cloudy day

A cloudy, cool day today--very unusual for LA. Believe it or not, I'm glad that the sun is taking a break. It's funny because when I lived on the east coast, I learned to appreciate good weather and make the best of bad weather. Here, I appreciate the bad weather and make the best of good weather. OK, the ratio of good to bad is totally skewed between the two coasts. It's cloudy here about once a month, whereas winter in Boston means six (and sometimes seven) straight months of rain, sleet, snow and cold. I love the sunny weather here and am still not used to the fact that I can hike, run, walk and do the stairs anytime without having to factor in weather concerns because it rains here so rarely. The sunny weather here is fabulous, but the cloudy days are almost a relief, an excuse to stay inside, read a book and make a pot of soup. Part of me misses the coziness that bad weather nurtures, and the odd cloudy day is the closest thing we have here to seasons.

No comments: