Wednesday, May 26, 2004

The home stretch

Song in my head: "Red Umbrella" off Kostars' "Klassics with a K.".

T-minus four weeks and counting until the wedding. It's great and exciting and weird and hard to believe. We've been engaged for a year and a half, and have lived together for 3 years, so it doesn't feel like things will change very much, though our married friends say that everything will be different. How? All I know is that I can't wait for the planning part to be over. Why we decided to get married in Vermont when we live in LA is beyond me. Vermont is wonderful and we both love it there, but planning from 3,000 miles away has been a challenge to say the least. My relationship with my mother and my two best friends has suffered because coordinating the planning hasn't been easy or fun for anyone. The whole thing doesn't feel quite real, even though we're rounding up the last unanswered RSVPs and spending disgusting amounts of money on ties and rings. The other day I went in for my last dress fitting and I felt like I was standing in for someone else, as if it wasn't my turn yet. I know I'm supposed to be ecstaticly happy but right now I just feel worn out.

On a totally different topic, there's a great article in this month's New York magazine about the 9-11 widows and how they're moving on with their lives. More power to them, I say. Even though Ashcroft (or as my friends prefer to call him, Asscraft) would prefer for us all to live in perpetual fear since 9-11, it's good that the people who were most directly affected by the terrorist attacks are paving the way for the nation to move forward.

And in other news, it's thrilling to hear that vegetables are being put to musical use and not in the beano kind of way.

No comments: