Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Can't dodge the dreams

Last night I dreamed that more wedding presents arrived in the mail, and my mother and I had to return them. For some reason, she decided to open them and see what they were. One of her friends had sent us a basket full of fun things that were all about my and Glenn's relationship--hiking maps for Southern California, tickets to a wine tasting in Santa Ynez, a gift certificate for dinner at Toscana, a book on California B&Bs. It was such a thoughtful and personal gift--in the dream, I cried while I was going through the basket. Then Glenn called to tell me that I'd gotten some more mail at our old apartment, and that he loved me. And my heart just melted. Because in dreams, you don't always remember that your true love cheated on you a month before your wedding and lied about it. Or that he doesn't love you any more. So in the dream, I called him back to tell him I loved him.

In reality, most of the wedding gifts went to Glenn's parent's house, because they had oodles of storage space and we did not. So his mother had to do most of the gift returning. I feel not an ounce of sympathy for her because returning those gifts was the only way she got involved in the whole post-calling it off mess, other than constantly reassuring her precious First Son of how blameless he was. I'd be less angry and bitter about that if she had been a monster mother-in-law in the making, but she wasn't--she was sweet and loving and we were very close. Her total silence after the breakup was a betrayal on top of a betrayal and yet another layer of loss to pile on top of the rest.

No comments: