Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A world apart

This morning: two major crying jags. The first came after finding that Glenn has changed the voicemail password on the apartment phone. The password used to be our anniversary. That killed about an hour of my morning. The second came after the mail arrived and I opened a wedding card with a check made out to Mr. and Mrs. Glenn XXXXXX.

A change of scenery was in order. I can only stand being in my parent's house for so long, especially since all I do there is grieve. My college roommate is home from Germany and she invited me to spend the night at her grandmother's house in one of the more swanky suburbs nearby. Being with T and her family has helped me see outside my tight little world of pain. They are so happy and stable and blueblooded. T's grandmother's house is a turn of the century Victorian perched on a wooded hill. The place is saturated with happy memories and it's full of family photos, old silver and books. The room where I'm staying was T's mother's room when she was growing up. The twin bed has a horsehair mattress covered in very old linens, and the whole thing is held up by ropes. It's a totally different world, almost a storybook world in some ways. It gives me hope!

No comments: