Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Management-speak

When Lunchboy and I first met a little over four years ago, we were both working for the same company. He was a consultant and I was an editor. Basically, my job was to make all the management-speak that he and the other consultants wrote sound more like regular English. The job was fun in part because it introduced me to whole new ways to shape and twist language. For instance, Lunchboy once used "whiteboard" as a verb in a meeting (there was also the whole "efficient frontier" argument). He is a man who loves his whiteboard--it was one of the very first things he bought to set up his home office when he switched jobs--and even though he mostly uses those giant, poster-sized Post-It sheets, the whiteboard is still there, just waiting for some consultant brainstorming to occur. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a consultant came up with this so that children of consultants can also learn to whiteboard their ideas. Since we are renting our current place and are not allowed to paint anything, it will be a while before we could introduce Margot to whiteboard paint. But I have a feeling she'll love it--it's in her genes.

Genes--jeans! It's totally unrelated but I wish Tea Collection made clothes for grownups. Seriously. I heart them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Moxie said...

Hey anonymous--you're right, that was obnoxious and poorly done on my part. I phrased it badly as well. But thanks for letting me know who you are--that was brave of you.

Jude Higdon said...

so *that's* where chiz found this stuff...

so now we've got plans for all four of her walls to be magnetic, with one a white board and one a chalk board. yay!