Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Palin

The loathing that has coursed through me since this woman was introduced as the GOP VP candidate is something I cannot quite find the words to describe. Angry, offended, terrified, shocked, and disappointed all come into play but that doesn't really matter. There are many thousands of writers who have written reactions to Sarah Palin better than I could hope to and since I'm neither a pundit nor a scold, I'll simply say that I have had a lot of fun playing with the Sarah Palin Name Generator because it lets me vent some of this vituperative negativity in a somewhat creative way.

Also, this article, while clearly taking a stand on the side of the issue that I agree with (though I happen to not find Sarah Palin attractive in the least), makes a point that I think is very important:

Stop voting for people you want to have a beer with. Stop voting for folksy. Stop voting for people who remind you of your neighbor. Stop voting for the ideologically intransigent, the staggeringly ignorant, and the blazingly incompetent.

Vote for someone smarter than you. Vote for someone who inspires you. Vote for someone who has not only traveled the world but who has also shown a deep understanding and compassion for it. The stakes are real and they're terrifyingly high. This election matters. It matters. It really matters. Let me say that one more time. This. Really. Matters.

2 comments:

Magpie said...

Sing it, sister.

mighty shifty said...

You hit on a point I have been trying to make forever...I don't want to be able to relate to the President or VP of the US of A. They control and 800 trillion dollar budget, they send people to die...and they decide to send bombers in and kill lots of people. I don't want a drinking buddy to decide that...I want someone clear headed, in control of ALL the facts...intelligent enough to know what they mean. Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar. He worked like 20 hours a day (minus the time for extra curricular activities of course). He didn't want to be my friend...He wanted to be president...and that is what I want.